Surrender a Pet
Things to Know
- Surrender fees are non-refundable. If you need to, you can reschedule an appointment.
- Cost: $20 per cat, $40 per intact dog, $30 per dog that is spayed/neutered already, and $5 per pocket pet.
- Due to an overwhelming need, appointments aren’t always immediately available. If all appointments are full please check back the 1st of each month.
- Plan on your appointment taking 20-30 minutes for cat appointments and 35-45 minutes for dogs
- The Toledo Humane Society does not accept feral cats; shelter staff will provide alternative resources.
- There may be instances where the Toledo Humane Society is unable to place animals up for adoption. Severe health and/or behavior issues may prevent animals from being adoptable. We are unable to take cats who are house soiling. In these instances, shelter staff will provide owners with alternative resources.
- Ohio law requires any animal that has bitten and broken skin be quarantined for 10 days to observe for signs of rabies. Please contact Lucas County Canine Care and Control or your veterinarian for quarantine services.
If you are interested in rehoming your own pet. The Toledo Humane Society has partnered with the Rehome Pet Project. Rehoming your pet should be easy and stress free both for you and your pet. The experts at Adopt-a-Pet.com, the largest non-profit pet adoption website, with support from The Petco Foundation, have created a simple, reliable, free program to help you place your pet from your loving home directly to another. Please click on the image to the right for more information.
What kind of pets we can accept?
THS accepts dogs, cats and other small domestic pets. We are not equipped to shelter livestock, wild animals or exotic pets.
THS requires proof of ownership upon surrender. If you are not the owner, you must bring a signed note with a photocopy of ID of the owner.
THS cannot take stray dogs. Contact the Lucas County Canine Care and Control at 419-213-2800 to report stray or lost dogs.
THS will accept friendly stray/abandoned cats and kittens. Stray cats/kittens need to be brought to the shelter during your scheduled appointment time. Please call 419.891.0705 for emergencies.
Bring your pet’s recent vaccination/medical records and detailed information about the pet’s daily habits and behaviors.
When you arrive
Please enter through the Animal Intake Entrance at the back of the building by ringing the doorbell. You will need to make sure your pet is properly confined before you bring the animal inside. Dogs should be on a leash and cats should be in a carrier. Make sure you park in parking lot, not behind the building.
THS evaluates each animal for health and behavior issues at the time of intake to make sure this is the best option for the animal.
The Toledo Humane Society understands there may be times when it is necessary to surrender your pet. THS offers a safe place for animals in need of a home to go.
If you’re surrendering a bird, rabbit or type of ferret, please use the Surrender – Other option.
To switch between appointments for different types of pets, click on the word “Pocket Pets” in the upper-left corner of the calendar, and then select the type of pet you need to surrender.